Wednesday, March 03, 2010

I'm sorry, but excuses piss me off

I've lost 70 pounds.  Of course people that know this ask me how to do it, they want my secrets.  They say what a miracle it is.  I HATE when they say it is a miracle.  It pisses me off.  I tell them it is not a miracle, it is hard work.  I am using a body bugg to help with a calorie counting program.  I weigh and measure everything I eat (ok, I don't weigh and measure at restaurants, but I rarely go out to eat).  I log every calorie that goes in my mouth and my bugg logs every calorie I burn.  I watch what I eat and I work my ass off at the gym.  I don't eat junk.  I LOVE brownies.  I haven't had one since June.  Do I want a brownie?  Hell yeah!  Do I want my health and some size 4 jeans even more?  You better believe it.  I hate being sweaty, I really really hate it.  I do not hate it as much as busting out of size 20 jeans which is what I was doing this time last year.  I do what I do because it works.  When I start explaining my plan to these people their eyes glaze over or they start making excuses why that wouldn't work for them about 30 seconds into my explanation.  Bullshit it won't work for you.  You have kids and no time to go to the gym?  There are gyms with daycare and/or parent rooms.  There are things you can do at home while the kids nap or play.  There are things you can do WITH your kids.  How about instead of popping your kid in front of elmo for the millionth time you actually get off your ass and go outside to play with them.  You can burn some serious calories chasing a 2 year old.  You can't afford a gym?  And there is some reason why you can't march in place while watching the hours of television that I know you watch?  You have a living room you can exercise in.  There are exercise videos on youtube, and if you are reading this then you can get to youtube.  You can't exercise because it hurts?  There is something that anyone can do, you just have to be willing to put in the work to find out what it is.  For most of us walking is not a problem and it is an awesome exercise.  I don't want to hear that you can't walk for more than a couple minutes.  Usually what is meant is that they don't want to because it is uncomfortable and they are lazy.  Nobody said you had to go from couch potato to running marathons over night.  The key is to do what you can do every single day and soon enough you will see that you can do more and more and more.  If you truly do have a medical problem then you should talk to your doc, I promise that they can help you find ways you can lose weight.  You can't eat healthy because your kids won't eat that stuff?  If they are hungry they will eat what you give them and you will be a better parent for feeding them healthier food.  If you don’t give them the crap then maybe when they are adults they won’t have inherited the weight problems.  Your spouse stops you from eating healthy because they refuse to eat it?  If they can refuse then so can you.  They are old enough to fix their own food, you don’t have to fix junk.  Tell them if they want junk they need to get it themselves.  What they eat has nothing to do with what you put in your mouth and I doubt very seriously that they are going to up and leave you for wanting to be healthy (if they would, then why do you want them anyhow?).  The weighing and measuring is too hard?  Being fat isn't hard?  My weighing and measuring takes me a few moments per meal.  It is not that hard.  You can't eat better because you are addicted to sugar or chocolate, or caffeine or whatever?  Don't tell it to me.  I am an ex-smoker, an ex-chocoholic, an ex-carboholic, and a few other ex-something.  I also have a father and 2 brothers who are recovering alcoholics, and my father and one of the brothers are also ex-smokers and I have 2 more brothers who quit smoking.  There are tons of people out there who have conquered addictions.  I don't want to hear that you can't, because can't doesn't exist in my world.  I am so tired of hearing people’s excuses.  Just admit that you are lazy.  If you want to be lazy and unhealthy, that’s your business, just don’t try to blame it on others or tell me you can’t.  Nobody is sitting there forcing you to sit on the couch and polish off an entire bucket of fried chicken followed by a family sized bag of M&Ms.  I spent years being lazy and unhealthy, but I never once said it was someone else’s fault and I never claimed it was impossible for me to be better.  I have not found a miracle, I have not found some easy way out, I have just stopped being lazy, I decided I was more important than the cheeseburger was.  I am sorry that I can’t tell you that I have some pill you can take to melt the pounds away or some magic fruit that you can eat that takes away all the calories in the mounds of trash food you follow it with.  There is nothing that will allow you to keep living like that and also be fit.  The choice is to get over that dream or to stay as you are.  If you truly want it, you will do it.